Not Able To Connect MTP In Windows 10

Hello Friends,

I am not able to connect MTP on Windows 10. What can I do about it?

You should ask @VIP - he is our master of desaster. Or else I could say, he knows quite much concerning those problems…

Don’t be surprised, the thread has been moved to Off Topic btw.

MTP or Media Transfer Protocol , a is part of the Windows Media Framework , allows media files to be transferred from one portable device to another automatically. It was earlier called as PTP or Picture Transfer Protocol.

We often transfer files to or from mobile or digital camera to another device and vice versa. You might not know, but when you transfer pictures from digital camera, you use an MTP connection to make the transfer. There are mainly two options you get after connecting a mobile device to the computer using a data cable. The first option lets you transfer any kind of file including documents, videos or audios. The second option is MTP, which allows users to move images from one device to another quickly.

In case Media Transfer Protocol is not working and you are facing difficulties in using MTP in Windows 10, then this suggestion may help you fix the issue.

Media Transfer Protocol is not working

Since the Media Transfer Protocol is not functioning correctly, your device won’t be detected by the computer, and as a result, you cannot transfer images quickly to or from the digital camera and mobile phone to your Windows computer. At times you may even get to see the following error messages:

• MTP USB device not installing
  • MTP USB Device driver failed
  • MTP not recognized

If MTP is not working on Windows 10, here is a checklist of things you need to ensure before you proceed:

1. Check if your mobile does support MTP : Most mobiles with cameras have the MTP support to transfer images from or to the device, but nevertheless it’s a good idea to check.
  2. Update the existing MTP Device Driver : Open the WinX Menu, select Device Manager and then search for your mobile device. Right-click on it and select Update Driver Software to update the device driver software.
  3. Install the MTP Device Driver : If the Driver is not installed, the connect the device. After connecting the new device to your computer, it installs the necessary driver automatically. Ensure that you haven’t interrupted the installation. If device manager displays a The drivers for this device are not installed message, you should consider reinstalling the driver. :wink:
  4. Enable MTP manually : You need to enable Media Transfer Protocol manually in some cases. Different mobile manufacturers have different procedures, so check the method for your manufacturer.
  5. Enable USB debugging mode : If you have an Android mobile and MTP is not working, make sure you have enabled USB Debugging Mode. This will help you troubleshoot further.

If installing a new Driver or updating your existing one has not helped, open File Explorer and navigate to the following path:

C:\Windows\INF

Here you will get a file called wpdmtp.inf . Right-click on that file and select Install .

1 „Gefällt mir“

I was able to get the issue resolved from here.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I’m glad you were able to make it work.
According to microsoft, this problem will be solved in a next build. Many Windows 10 users are waiting for this - only waiting for this or doing it by yourself will help at the moment!
Best regards…